Sunday, May 25, 2008

Max Recap

A few new things have been in store for Max this spring. He is starting to learn to ride his bike without the training wheels. He isn't too thrilled to keep trying, but he is so close! Max has also started soccer for the first time. We realized with Jack that we started him way too early at three years old (first child excitement). So Max is just beginning and it has been the perfect time for this six year old. We have had so much fun watching him; he is aggressive and follows along with the game and has ALMOST scored numerous times. He is highly motivated with rewards and is always asking us if he can earn something if he does something. Before every game he asks if he can get a reward if he scores a goal. He is quite manipulative because it is usually something I want to agree to like a place to eat out for dinner or movie night for the family. It has been pretty funny, even though we are trying to teach him to love to play and do well simply because it's fun (yeah right, I'm out there cheering my lungs out so we can go to Red Robin!) In the few games Max has played he has handled the ball 10 times more than Jack did in a season. They are definitely two different kids with very different personalities. Speaking of being highly motivated by rewards, Max has gotten some pretty great "treats" with good haircuts the last couple of months. Mas HATES to get his hair cut, and even though we've made progress over the years it still isn't a favorite activity for anyone involved. So, like any good parent, we bribe him. Max said he would only do a buzz if he could have a mohawk. We said what the heck, why not for the day, as long as he would be PERFECT for the haircut in the morning and later to get the mohawk gone. It was sweet! We had planned to go bowling that day, and one of his best buddies was having a birthday party later that afternoon. We got the funniest looks from people wondering what kind of people we were to let our six year old kid wear a mohawk. He was the HIT of the birthday party and thought it was the coolest day ever. He finagled 4 Oreos out of the latest haircut, but I tell you, he was an angel for both haircuts, and our house was actually peaceful (or at least our neighbors don't think we're abusive anymore!)
Byron took the boys to our ward Father's and Son's Outing and they had a blast. They were the first ones to the site and Max was thrilled because he helped Byron build and start the fire that ended up being THE fire that everyone used the whole night. Way to go buddy.
One last thing about Max. He is the best brother ever. He always is thinking of Jack and how he can make him happy. He and Lucy have a special relationship. He is in school every morning and she gets so excited when it is time for him to come home. He plays and plays with her and makes her so laugh all the time. She calls him Maxers and says it so affectionately. The other day after playing on the trampoline and doing every single thing she wants him to do, he said, " I am so done playing with her." but two seconds later he was back at it. So cute!

12 comments:

Byron said...

J Dude, this is for you:

I think you and I are on completely different ends of the emotional spectrum. It didn't EVEN cross my mind to get emotional when typing about Jack. Sometimes I think I ought to be more emotional/sentimental/
compassionate/sympathetic/anything with feeling but boy it just doesn't come!

Amy this is for you:

Jack and Byron have a great relationship and seem to have enough positive situations going on without needing it one on one for some reason. Just today Jack was talking about our time and not getting it with Daddy, but he said "it's enough just with you." It made me so happy. So until he feels like he needs it and we can somehow read those cues, we'll just stick to Mommy time.

Jill Freestone said...

Its fun to catch up on your family - makes me miss you more! thanks for writing!

thebigcookiefam said...

I love the stories of Max, what a great kid! I love all of the pictures on the side of your blog. You guys are great at this blogging thing, do have any classes I can sign up for so I can learn how to do all of the cool stuff?

Amy said...

Max is so funny. Those are fun stories and I think it's great how he works you guys over to get stuff. I love the mohawk. I think Byron should do it. Oh wait, he doesn't have enough hair anymore, huh? Sucka!

Lisa said...

Love the mohawk! Aren't bribes amazing!?

Courtney said...

I had to laugh about the haircut thing! I have two boys who HATE their haircut and since I do it outside...the neighbors must wonder what the heck am I doing to my children once an month! I love the mowhawk...way cute!

Huffstuff said...

Michelle this actually unreal that I found your blog. Long story but I will say, we were in Boise visiting the Mecham's over the weekend. Anyway, you have a beautiful family. I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. You are more than welcome to read up on the Huff's. Enjoy!

Marcie and Holly said...

The mohawk rocks! It looked so cool and we bet he was a hit! the recap posts were cute. We really liked them!

Jana said...

okay, where was I that you typed a specific comment just for me and I didn't even see it.... I guess too much going on.

That must mean you are a bad mom if you don't get emtional when you reminisce and say nice things about your kids. :)

You are THE best mom EVER!!! I hope you know I love you.

julie williams said...

What a sweet boy he is!! He sounds a lot like my Gunner. Except that Gunner wants his head shaved every two weeks. He likes it short-lets hope that's the case when he's sixteen!! My two little girls love him to death...he plays with them and reads to them- he's Courtney's best friend and I don't think he has a clue. Before we found out what we were having I was trying to prepare him for another sister just in case and he replied with..."I would love a little brother to play ball with but I really like my sisters and if it's another girl that's ok...girls love me"!! Could you eat him up or what!!

jenny said...

Those oreos are impressive :) What a cutie!

An said...

I would just like to add that Esther is totally in love with Max and he is so sweet to her. I hope to marry her into the Garn family someday. Just think how excited she would be to spend eternity with Max or Baby Sam!