Sunday, May 18, 2008

Therapy and Psuedo-Therapy

There have been a number of things this past month that have made me feel "normal" again. ( I know many would argue that I have never been normal...) Between having a baby and nursing that baby every 3 hours and throwing out my back, I have not been able to do a lot of the things that help me feel like something other than a slave to my house, children, and aging body. I started physical therapy for my back and it has been wonderful! No miracles or anything, but definite changes and relief. This means I have been able to RUN! Woohoo! I haven't run since before I was pregnant with Lucy. It feels great (actually there's a whole lot of jiggling going on that doesn't feel so great!) , but hopefully my back will hold up and I can continue to pound it out on the pavement. It feels fabulous! I also mowed the lawn yesterday, which takes me back to my teen years and is totally therapeutic! A few weeks ago we gave Sam a bottle for the first time so I could go to the temple with our Relief Society sisters. It was so needed! I hadn't been to the temple since Dec. and was in need of a spiritual boost and was greatly filled. Next we had a girly night where two friends came over and we made dresses for our girls. It was so fun! It made me remember that yes, I can do something other than change diapers and pick up all day. Lucy totally didn't need another dress, but turning a couple of pillow cases into a dress for her was what I totally needed! Date night with my hubby was also pretty sweet. Byron owed me a date from FOREVER ago because I beat him in bowling, thank you very much! This means he had to arrange babysitting and decide what we were going to do. Dinner and a movie is an all time fave, but lo and behold, he came up with something better: dinner and shopping at the outlets! And not shopping for the kids (well a little) but he said it was shopping for me! With being fat and pregnant for 18 months out of 2 years, not to mention the postpartum fatness, it has been a long, long time since I have shopped for myself. I didn't find much, but the fact that I could shop kid free and with someone to show off to, it was a blast! Book club is also mega-therapy for me. I love, love, love to read and escape in a good book, but I love going and visiting with the girls even more! I came home from the last one and Byron said, "How was it?" I said, "great, but my back hurts. I think I sat in the same spot too long." He said, "Yeah, well FOUR hours is a long time." I said, "Duh, it wasn't FOUR hours! OH MY GOSH! I was there for FOUR hours?" Sorry, Elizabeth, we stayed a loooong time, but truly, it makes me a better woman. Maybe not the next day when I am so tired, but I continue to find myself chuckling over past book club conversations and it just makes me happy. Each of these things has made me feel whole and well again. Hallelujah!

14 comments:

Jana said...

It does feel so good to find yourself! Congratulations! And what a find - you gorgeous, talented, wonderful gal!

An said...

Book club rules.

The Jones Fam said...

okay Michelle, you need to teach me how to make a dress out of a pillow case!! So cute! In fact, we could get body pillows and make dresses for us! Okay, maybe they wouldn't be as cute... You are a busy, great mom and such a good example to me! Keep it up girl! And sorry about the blog strike...Jake promises to get with it!:)
-Natalie
ps we are going to hot AZ in about a week! We have great timing...

Marcie and Holly said...

Those dresses are adorable!!! We love them. I know what is good and therapeutic for you. Come to AZ!!! Fun!

Janie said...

Book club is a blast! I am glad someone appreciates it like I do. Maybe it's getting away from the kids :)
Fun date night! I love dinner and a movie, but dinner and outlets that might be better!

The dresses are adorable I hope next time I can come!

Anonymous said...

How Fun! I wish you were already in AZ this summer so we could do more projects!

kami said...

Those pillow case dresses are too cute!!! Are they easy to make? If so, send the directions. If not, I'll just look at the pictures of Lucy looking adorable!

Elizabeth said...

I'm SO glad you guys stayed so long at book club, I enjoy talking to other woman more than anything, so I could have gabbed all night. And then dress, I plan to finish it in Kansas. We'll see!!

Colette Goodman said...

Sorry to hear about your back. That is awful. Lucy's dress is darling. You have to teach me how to do make a dress out of a pillowcase. Are you coming at all this summer?

Nichols Family said...

Oh Michelle, I'm sorry about your back. I worked in physical therapy for 5 years before I had kids and I am a true BELIEVER. Then I got in 2 car accidents and ended up as a patient ever since! (Seriously, my husband would always ask how my fun nights out were and I'd always reply, "Good but my back and neck hurt the whole time.") I'm sure he got so sick of me saying that! I'm soooo glad you're feeling better and you've been able to do fun things again. Believe me, I've walked in your shoes! :) Are you guys ever moving back to AZ?

Amy said...

Would you stop with being so dang capable and impressive?? You're making me look bad. Okay, it was so fun to talk to you the other night - really. I thought about it after and it felt so good and was fun. Sorry we kept you up late. I don't read books very often (I blame it on being to busy - not a good excuse), but for our trip I took one and just finished tonight. "Year of Wonders". Julie D. recommended it. It's about the Plague of 1666. A good read.

Amy said...

Oh the dress is super cute. Was it easy?? You could teach me at the beach. Yeah right. Like we're going to have a moment for that amongst the chaos!

thebigcookiefam said...

I soo love reading what you have to say. You are always so positive, You have such a great outlook on life. I am so glad you are feeling better, and you look great, I am glad you got to go shopping. What girl doesn't enjoy a surprise shopping trip!

Courtney said...

Being a mom is great...doing things for yourself is even better and makes us better moms! So, good for you on getting stuff done just for you!