Sunday, March 9, 2008

MidWinter Break

Here in AA, it is so blasted cold for so blasted long that Spring Break for the kids is just not sufficient. So we get a week off school in Feb. and then again in April. I actually don't know the real reason why the public schools have the two different breaks, but blaming it on the weather right now seems about right. Typically the "breaks" don't seem like much of a break for moms at home, but I sure got one this time. We were lucky enough to be able escape the cold and the snow for a few days, which helped us embrace it when we got back and actually get out there and play. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of that week, we went to one of the fabulous indoor water park resorts called the Kalahari. Resorts like this dot the Midwest, and for me will really be something we miss when we leave. I think it is a great family thing to do in the winter, and think it would be an awesome place to have a reunion for extended family. ANYWAY, the park is complete with wave pool, lazy river, kiddie splash zones, 2 family hot tubs, 2 surfing/boogie boarding simulators, and dozens of different types of slides. The resort also has other features outside of the water park, like a climbing structure, mini golf, an arcade, and various restaurants, and all of this accessible a short walk from your room. The boys had a blast checking out the different rides with Daddy, then taking me on the favorites. Many of the rides had height regulations so Max couldn't go on everything. Oddly enough, there was no restriction for the surfing simulator and he became the boogie board champ!! He loved it and from the start could stay on the board forever. He even got to where he was trying to tricks like riding on his knees or pulling his feet up over his back. Way to go Max! Jack loved doing everything, and since a friend of his from school happened to be down there too, they were able to rule the place together. Lucy didn't seem as sold as the others when it came to slides, or even water for that matter. She really liked going up and down steps and playing in the little bubbling fountains, and eating snacks on a chair. But, she looked dang cute in her swimming suit, even if she is almost transparent white! Little Sam was a good sport. Never in his life has this little guy been so warm, he actually got to hang out in a onesie and not wear socks! Woohoo! As for me, my favorite ride was the blue "toilet bowl". You start out on a raft down a regular tube but after a while it opens to a big bowl that swirls you around then dumps you out another tube to finish you off. I ended up being the one with my back toward the front so I couldn't see the drops or curves, and boy it was a great, scary ride!! It was great to put the little ones to bed or down for naps and have some fun with the big boys. Byron and I took turns doing this and it was wonderful having uninterrupted, quality, relaxing time with Jack and Max . Some families from our ward were also down there for a day and we had so much fun splashing around with them, and eating Cafe Rio Salads for dinner together, it was a blast! As for me, the favorite part of the trip was actually being warm and wearing FLIP FLOPS! This AZ girl knows what is truly important! On the way home it started to snow again and over the next day we got another 6 inches of snow! But unlike the typical Michigan winter day, on Saturday the sun came out in full force. It was still freezing but it made for a great day to play in the snow. The boys and I and some neighbor boys had a blast making a snowman, clearing off the trampoline, and of course having a snowball fight. It really was a great week for our family, I was almost sad when it was time to go back to school.

12 comments:

Courtney said...

Sounds like a great break from the weather, life, and whatever!!! Your little Lucy is DANG cute in her little bathing suit! What a fun time...and just crazy to go back to the snow and cold! Something I definitely do not miss from our time in Chicago, though my boys totally do!

I'm with you on the flip flops...actually, love that I can go bare foot...totally an AZ girl!

jenny said...

That looks like a perfect place to get away from the snow for sure. I was just complaining today how sick of cold weather I am. I am a wimp and it's in the 50's. Which I am sure you are laughing at me right now.

We get to go home next week for the big house hunt. So fun!

Lisa said...

I love the pic of all the kids and I'm so jealous that we couldn't make it! Oh well, maybe next time!

Janie said...

What fun! Cute pictures. I am curious about the toilet bowl thing.

Marcie and Holly said...

That place looks so fun! It sounds like you needed a trip like that. A break from the weather! Way cool!

Jaimee said...

That resort looks like a blast! I love the picture of you in the snow with your kids. Your kids are too cute and I can not believe how much they look like you and Byron! Darling family!

julie williams said...

Michelle,
It was so great to hear from you!!! I'm so glad you ran across my blog and I don't mind at all if you check it. I will be checking yours now that I have it! What a beautiful family you have. I was so shocked to hear you had another baby and so happy for you. He is darling. I am truely looking forward to September which is when my baby is due and I think this time I am done for sure!! We'll see. It will be so great to keep in touch with you. So sad to say that Jennifer and I don't keep in touch as good as we should. I only have four and it's hard to find time...I don't know how she does 10!! Tell Byron I said hello and I'll talk with you soon.
Julie Williams

MagicSprinkles said...

Michelle, so glad you found my photo blog...I am taking a break from photography so I don't update it all that often!
My email is apehren@cox.net
That is the best way to get in touch with me! Wow, 4 kids! You go girl!
I didn't go thru another pregnancy, we adopted Ella!
Your kids are darling!
I need to start a family blog!
Email me!
April

Sharon said...

I'm glad you hotel room was close to everything, ours was in a different time zone! I'm so glad you guys ended up coming! It was great to get to know you and your family better and of course, to be warm!

Elizabeth said...

My favorite part was sitting around and talking with everyone by the pool. Let's plan again for next year, we had so much fun with you guys!!

Amy said...

Your trip looks SO fun! I bet the boys had a blast. Lucy looks sooo cute in the too-small-for-Emily swimsuit. I'm trying not to be bitter about having to buy another one soon (and maybe even an extra for the beach). It was the cutest thing ever and so wanted to see her in it this summer. Oh well, Lucy looks adorable in it and that's good enough for me.

thebigcookiefam said...

WOW! what a great resort. It makes me want to come to Michigan just for the fun rides. What a great place to go when it is freezing!!! So glad you got to wear your flip flops.