Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Blog Hole


So here we are in the blogging world. How in the heck did we get here? I was adamant about NOT succumbing to peer pressure that "everyone's doing it" and "it'll make you feel good". My take was this: we spend way, way too much time on the computer as it is, we are already pretty good about keeping up with far away friends and family through email and smugmug, and what in the world would we have to say that would interest anyone? (Don't forget the fact that the basement where the computer is located is FREEZING.) So how did we get sucked into the BLOG HOLE?? A few things happened, and honestly, now I'm a blog addict. First of all, we got a laptop computer for Christmas. Suddenly my aversion to long computer sessions has vanished. I can work in my bed, on the couch, at the kitchen table .... anywhere, and it's warm! In the past, Byron would come read his book on the floor by the computer where I was working, just so he could be near me and better "hang out" for the evening. Now he can hang out by me much more comfortably. Second of all, I threw out my back. That is a whole other story, mostly an embarrassing story about people coming into my messy house to take care of me, and riding around the airport in a wheelchair while holding two babies. We'll save that lovely bit for another time. But while my back was out I found a bit of time on my hands while lying there in bed. I figured, if Byron is really going to do this blog thing, we've got to do it right. I don't really know what "right" is, but I figured it had something to do with getting lots of blog links in our "friends" list. :) Between being down and out on my back, and all the nursing sessions where I am forced to sit down for a bit of time, and going on vacation for a week, I have found myself with way more computer time on my hands than normal. Each time I am pulled back into the blogging world, wondering, who has posted something new since yesterday? What new pictures will there be? Who will I link to today that I haven't yet seen? It is all very intriguing to me, and very addicting. I have loved hearing the updates of my friends and family, the little episodes of their lives that I would otherwise miss. I have laughed out loud, been uplifted and inspired, and have even had tears come to my eyes while reading about YOU! So I am wondering: Now that my back is better and life is resuming full force with a newborn and a 17 month old, not to mention the 6 and 8 year old, will I still be able to live in the blog world like I want to? I have so many other "better" things that I "should" be doing, when really I just want to check out if Natalie posts another entry about panties!! I know the whole lecture about moderation in all things and I've heard it all about the dishes still being there when you're done, but really, how do you all do it? How do you live in the blogging world and still function in the normal world? I still haven't figured out what we could post that would even be slightly interesting (ok, the wheelchair in the airport might be a good one), but I figure that maybe finally I will at least get some record kept of part of our lives and I know I will feel good about that. Unfortunately for you it may be awfully boring, but well, here we are!

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love it!! That is exactly how we all feel I think, but you described it perfectly. It does suck you in, but it is so great to be in touch with everyone. As for me, I just try (key word, doesn't happen) to limit my blog hopping to 30 minutes, for me, it is relaxing!!

Anonymous said...

I am so looking forward to the wheelchair through the airport with two babies stories! And I save my blog hopping for indoor snow days, and nap times, but I am not sure how it works when you have older kids!

The Cherry Family said...

Did I really post something about panties? Tell me you know another Natalie . . . By the way, I still need to come see Sam. When can we come visit?

Lisa said...

Oh, I love that you've finally entered the blogging world! And no, there's no real balance!

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

OK .... I am sad I am only NOW finding out about your blog... WE MISS YOU.. my boys still talk about Jack and Max who used to live down the street and how they wish they were still here. WELL US TOO... We sure do miss you guys. the GREATEST NEIGHBORS EVER... Your kids are growing up so FAST. and they are so cute. I am excited to keep up with the blogging world.

MISS YA

thebigcookiefam said...

OK, OK, so even with all your blog posts I have missed out on some pretty great things going on in your life. You need to share more!
I really need to hear about you throwing out your back! It is one of my biggest fears that something is going to happen to me on a dirty house day! now come on we all have them! And then everyone will think my house is always like that! I have made a pact (seriously) with a good friend of mine that if anything ever happens to me, get hurt (like you,) get stranded, or die. She comes first and cleans my house before the relief society sisters come over! Crazy I know, but I do!

Becky said...

OH MY GOSH! I am in complete and total shock! Michelle got a blog! I just don't believe it at all!! I found your link off Andrea's site and clicked on it thinking, "No, it can't be true. Michelle just wouldn't do something like that. She wouldn't succumb to peer pressure because she's so strong." Ahhhh, we finally got to you and I'm glad because now we can keep up with your adorable little family. Love it!

Janie said...

Yeah! So glad you joined the blogging world. It's true you totally get sucked in. Can't wait to hear more about your family. I just count it as journal and scrapbook time, then I feel less guilty.

Anonymous said...

Welcome my quiet blog spy buddy.
It did open up a great conversation!