Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Birthday Surprise

I can't believe we have a NINE year old! Yes, I know it is just one year past eight, but nine just seems like a lot more years. This is what our Jack looked like when we moved here to Michigan 3 years ago. This was taken on his 6th birthday . Time has just flown and here we are in the same porch but with a BIG KID! Woah! And what does every BIG KID need but a surprise birthday party!!! His friends and their families did a great job keeping it a secret. He thought his party was going to be on Monday, his actual birthday, but we surprised him Saturday evening, two days early. These boys of ours have totally been into the Indiana Jones hype so we thought an Indy Adventure would be right up their alley. They all had to work together to find an antidote to save birthdays around the world. They were given clues and, thanks to the best Daddy, homemade whips to help them along the way.
They had a great time, then enjoyed pizza and watching The Last Crusade. Lucky for us Jack thought it was the best party ever. Whew! I was afraid he would still want his Monday party because the surprise one was not what he wanted. Fortunately he loved it. Much to Jack's disappointment, his last baseball game fell on his very birthday and we made him go. Gratefully he got to enjoy the team's only win of the season and he played well and actually enjoyed himself. We of course had to still do the traditional birthday dinner at Red Robin, even if it was two days later. It ended up being a five day celebration and after being spoiled like this I think Jack knows he is officially nine years old now, and that we love having this big kid in our family!!

11 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so glad for a new post. It was killing me waiting for so long. :) Okay that first picture, I saw it before I read about it and I was like, "Dang, Jack looks so much younger than just the other day!". Obviously, it's a three year old pic and that's why. His party looked amazing and I'm still VERY impressed at the way your fam does birthdays. Lots of fun memories. Oh, and mmmmm.... Red Robin.

Marci McLain said...

That is so fun! It sounds like a wonderful birthday party! You really are super mom! He has really grown up! It reminds me that Caleb was just 2 when we moved into this house! It all goes by so fast!

kami said...

It's hard to believe our boys are 9! Cameron is begging for an Indiana Jones party. I'll have to get all the details from you. Happy Birthday Jack!

Chad & Dawn Howey said...

Happy Birthday Jack... Can I just say.. my boys still talk about jack and how much fun they had with him and how they wish he still lived down the street. WE MISS YOU GUYS!!

julie williams said...

What a great party!! He would get along great with Jenet's little guy John!! What a fun mom you are! I know the feeling of getting old through my kids. I myself do not feel any older than I did the day I graduated but the fact that I have a 7th grader is freakin me out!! That is old-I still remember going to Kino on the first day of 7th grade and going to the wrong class. Oh well-grow old gracefully right!! So sad about Bro. O

Jana said...

I can't believe that Jack is so old....wasn't he just that tiny baby? But I guess JJ was just that other tiny baby!

Anonymous said...

What fun parents! So let's see this dress!! So glad to be back- can't wait to party!!

Nichols Family said...

Once again, you guys are party animals! Indiana Jones party??? My kids would be in heaven! Happy B-day to your son!

Jaimee said...

They do grow up way too fast! Love the Indiana theme--I bet your kids had a blast! BTW-You look really pretty in the pic of you and your son. Hope all continues to go well for you and yours.

Marcie and Holly said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like it was tons of fun! Michelle you look good in the pic too. You guys need a trip to Arizona!

thebigcookiefam said...

I can't believe how much different he looks since you have moved there. The first picture is how I remember him! You did an awesome job on his party, it sounds like it was AMAZING! Good job!